Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"On Wednesdays, We Wear Pink"

A day for all things pretty AND pink. 
      And what fits that definition better than my all-time favorite icon, the Cupcake!! Yes, I absolutely LOVE cupcakes. I don't know what it is about them, but I idolize these precious little things, from jumbo to mini, they are absolutely adorable. Now, thank goodness I do not actually enjoy eating them as much as simply looking at them, otherwise we'd have some problems. In the Spring of 2009, that time between the last test of the semester and finals, I was bored. Randomly, I decided to make a cupcake quilt. Now I'm not great at following instructions, or patterns, or directions well. I like to do things my own way. So this quilt, while cute, would be an engineer's nightmare. Nothing is symmetrical. I pieced everything together by "eye balling it". No measurements. Made up everything as I went (so don't ask me for a pattern or directions). This did cause a problem when it came time to sew the back onto the quilt, because it wasn't a perfect rectangle. But I love it nonetheless. I take this quilt everywhere. It made its debut in the fall of 2009 when I took it DC for the semester. And we haven't been separated since. You can tell, by the faded colors, that it has been washed many, many times. I'm sure it will be solid white by the time I pass it on to my little girl some day, who yes, will undoubtedly share my obsession with cupcakes. 

Here are the cupcakes cut out & pinned to their little squares before sewing

The finished product. Still going strong 2 years later...
I am seriously toying with the idea of making another one this spring, but with more details. Perhaps, little ribbon bows or buttons on the top of each cupcake? textured cupcake liners? The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! This definitely reminds me of our Chicago Cupcake Adventures :)

    ReplyDelete